In our last blog, we discussed a new concept call Postmodern ERP. From ERP legacy systems to the cloud to hybrid solutions, manufacturing firms have had to keep pace with rapidly evolving ERP technology over the last several years. Recent analyses by Gartner now promise to shake things up further. Gartner is promoting an ERP strategy called Postmodern ERP, which calls for a decentralized hybrid system that generally consists of a core ERP solution integrated with a mix of different cloud-based software. As manufacturers have even more choices than they did before, they can count on cloud ERP vendors like Rootstock Software to help them implement their own postmodern ERP strategy.
According to Gartner, a successful postmodern ERP strategy must support:
- Business agility and flexibility – With specialist applications from the cloud, firms can leverage upgrades applied by the software vendor, let users make configuration changes, and replace applications within a two- to five-year time frame.
- Reduced complexity of the core ERP – Implementing a hybrid set of solutions frees companies from having to customize a monolithic ERP suite to meet a differentiating business need or drive user adoption.
- Improved usability and user adoption – Users’ needs for a Web-based app-like interface can be satisfied by providing specialist cloud applications.
- Business-appropriate integration – Integration of functions such as order management and materials planning can be tight where needed, and loose for other functions.
- Increased business outcomes – Postmodern ERP can deliver measurable improvements in business outcomes. ERP modules intended for integrated suites often lack the depth of domain-specific functionality delivered by specialist cloud applications. A postmodern ERP strategy can deliver greater business process improvements faster than the ERP suite alone.
- Better use of IT resources – Postmodern ERP allows IT resources to focus on enabling innovation and differentiation instead of spending most of their time maintaining a bloated legacy system.
Rootstock Software and Postmodern ERP
Rootstock Software is one cloud ERP provider that can help manufacturers plan and implement a postmodern ERP strategy. Their cloud ERP system is designed for the Salesforce ecosystem and is 100% native to that platform, which means that their software runs 100% within Salesforce. The ability to select the right specialist ERP application from the vast Salesforce ecosystem is a significant advantage for firms looking at a postmodern ERP solution.
Rootstock’s powerful cloud ERP solutions represent every step in the manufacturing process, increasing efficiencies, controlling costs and increasing revenue. Rootstock has ERP modules for sales order management, purchase order management, production engineering, inventory management, lot and serial control, scheduling and capacity planning, shop floor control, material requirements planning (MRP), manufacturing cost control, project control modules, as well as financial integration and customer service. Rootstock’s cloud ERP software supports multiple companies, multiple divisions, and multiple sites, all within a single tenant on the Salesforce platform.
Monolithic legacy on-premise ERP systems have become more of a burden than a help to manufacturers trying to remain competitive and successful in the rapidly changing markets of today’s global economy. Adopting a postmodern ERP allows firms to leverage their investment in those old integrated ERP suites by combining some of their core functions with the more agile and efficient cloud-based ERP solutions from Rootstock Software.